Stop Attacking Indigenous Schools, Pull Out Military Troops in Mindanao! : Page 2 of 3
region – 30 in Southern Mindanao, 11 in Caraga and 14 in Western and Northern Mindanao regions – this does not include Special Forces and US army personnel who participate in the so-called “joint military training exercises.”  Furthermore, US military aid to the Philippines has reached more than US$500 million since 2001 .
ALCADEV, MISFI and other alternative indigenous schools bear the Lumad’s aspirations to break free from generations of poverty and the systematic denial of their basic right to education. The rampant militarization of local communities in Mindanao, the continued attacks against schools, and increasing deaths of indigenous leaders have not only disrupted school operations, but have also led to the outright violation of their right to self-determined development.
We call for an immediate halt to these worsening attacks and for the perpetrators to be brought before the bar of justice. We call for the revocation of EO 546 and the dismantling of all paramilitary groups in the country. Finally, we call for an end to the militarization of rural communities and schools with the pullout of government troops.
In service and solidarity with the people of Mindanao, we will carry on in defense of land and life.
STOP POLITICAL REPRESSION!
JUSTICE FOR DIONEL, BELLO, & EMERITO!
STOP THE KILLINGS OF INDIGENOUS PEOPLES!
JUNK OPLAN BAYANIHAN!
1. Conduct awareness-raising activities in your area in coordination with the Save Our Schools (SOS) Network. You can contact them thru firstname.lastname@example.org
2. We also urge our allies, partners, friends and all advocates of human rights to extend financial, material and humanitarian support to the more than 2,000 evacuees currently in Tandag City, Surigao del Sur.
3. Send letters, emails and/or fax messages calling on the Aquino administration to:
- Immediately pull out the 36 th, 75 th IB-PA and Special Forces from the Lumad communities and dismantle all paramilitary groups including Magahat/BAGANI Force.
- Establish an independent body to investigate the killings and human rights violations perpetrated by government and paramilitary troops in the country.
- Uphold its duty as signatory to observe and promote the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other international human rights instruments and norms.
- To cease all operations under its counterinsurgency program Oplan Bayanihan.
You may send your communications to:
1. H.E. Benigno C. Aquino III
President of the Republic of the Philippines
Malacañang Palace, JP Laurel St., San Miguel
Voice: (+632) 564 1451 to 80
Fax: (+632) 742-1641 / 929-3968
2. Ret. Lt. Gen. Voltaire T. Gazmin
Secretary, Department of National Defense
Room 301 DND Building, Camp Emilio Aguinaldo,
E. de los Santos Avenue, Quezon City
Voice:+63(2) 911-9281 / 911-0488
Fax:+63(2) 911 6213
3. Atty. Leila De Lima
Secretary, Department of Justice , Philippines
Padre Faura St., Manila, Philippines
Direct Line 521-1908
Trunkline 523-84-81 loc.211/214
Fax: (+632) 523-9548
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
4. Hon. Jose Luis Martin Gascon
Chairperson, Commission on Human Rights
SAAC Bldg., UP Complex
Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
Voice: (+632) 928-5655 , (+632) 926-6188
Fax: (+632) 929 0102