- 25 Download
- 9.12 MB File Size
- 2 File Count
- May 17, 2022 Create Date
- May 17, 2022 Last Updated
Africa is one of the richest continents in the world in terms of land and natural resources, but its people are the poorest. The region is home to about 70% of the world’s poor. Since the 17th century, Western powers have exploited Africa’s resources.
Regional integration is a long-standing dream of the African people. It is viewed as a strategy to overcome the limitations of small economies working in isolation. An integrated economic community of 55 countries with a labour force of 500 million and a single market of 1.2 billion is formidable. The latest effort in regional integration is the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) Agreement.
Will the AfCFTA, with its promise of bringing in foreign investments and global value chains, boost trade among African countries, spur industrialisation, and lead to a better life for all Africans?
1. How did colonialism affect trade in Africa?
2. What are the salient features of African trade today?
3. What is the AfCFTA? How did the AfCFTA come about?
4. How will the AfCFTA affect the Regional Economic Communities?
5. What are the other free trade agreements in Africa? How will they affect the AfCFTA?
6. What does Africa's major partners think of the AfCFTA? How will China gain?
7. How is the AfCFTA adding to Africa's economic ills?
8. How will the AfCFTA impact different marginalised sectors and vulnerable groups in Africa?
9. How should we transform trade to support People-Powered Sustainable Consumption and Production?
10. What courses of action should we take concerning the AfCFTA?