Prospects on national and sectoral advocacy campaigns against the AfCFTA
November 18, 2021 (Thursday)
3 PM Nairobi / 12 PM Dakar / 8 PM Manila / 1 PM Brussels
In-person event: Marble Arch Hotel and Conference Center, Lagos Road off Tom Mboya Street
Register online: https://bit.ly/afcftacampaign
The African Continental Free Trade Agreement (AfCFTA) is a USD 3.4 trillion economic project of the African Union. Its main goal is to create a single market for goods and services facilitated by labor migration, in order to deepen the economic integration of the African continent in accordance with the Pan African Vision of “An integrated, prosperous and peaceful Africa” enshrined in Agenda 2063.
However, there are people’s concerns on exclusion, trade injustice, and plunder of natural resources as the AfCFTA aims to further integrate Africa into the global capitalist system. It is designed to liberalise markets for the commodities of overproduction.
In this vein, IBON Africa launches the AfCFTA Campaign Briefer to:
- Present the context, in which AfCFTA emerged,
- Introduce the AfCFTA and expose its contentious provisions and false claims,
- Analyse both the current and future implications of such provisions to peoples’ rights,
- Articulate how a People’s Trade looks like for the African people, highlighting the need for a people-powered sustainable consumption and production, and
- Present ways how peoples’ organisations – within and outside of Africa – can mobilise people and organise actions against the AfCFTA.
This event will be held in-person in Nairobi, Kenya and online through a Zoom webinar. #