Join the calls to #ReclaimOurFuture!
On October 15, during the 2021 Annual Meetings of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank Group (WBG), we call on social movements, people’s organisations, and civil society to join a Global Day of Action to voice our concerns to the current profit-oriented agenda.
Why should we take a stand?
- GRID is greed. The IMF-WBG’s current agenda, the “Green, Resilient and Inclusive Development” (GRID) framework, threatens to be a “recovery” to maximise the gains of corporations and finance capital from the current crisis. With a corporate recovery, “green” risks more greenwashed projects and resource plunder. GRID distracts from the IMF-WBG’s history of pre-pandemic policies that brought the people to the current crises.
- Debt and taxes. The IMF-WBG continue to drown the peoples in the global South with loans, refuse the demands to cancel debts, while advancing new waves of neoliberal conditionalities. The people will likely carry the burden into the future with new taxes and export-oriented trade to pay for debts.
- Pandemic profiteering. The World Bank firmly protects pandemic profiteering as it opposes even the demand to suspend corporations’ “intellectual property rights” in vaccines. It protects the source of monopoly profits at the expense of the people’s right to health.
Let us take a stand, and say no to corporate recovery and the profiteering from crises!
How to participate in the Global Day of Action:
- Record a short video (2-5 minutes) showing your message or even a cultural presentation — it could show solidarity, or your concerns about corporate recovery, debt, or IMF-WBG projects, policies, and programmes in your country or sector
- Take photos of your organisation holding a placards or calls, or hold your own actions
- Write a statement opposing the corporate recovery agenda
- Join the October 15 Global Day of Action online rally (8am Washington DC/9am Rio De Janeiro/2pm Brussels/3pm Nairobi/8pm Manila)
You may send videos, messages, and statements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Read more at the social media page of the Global Day of Action.
The event is co-organised with the Indigenous Peoples Movement for Self-Determination and Liberation (IPMSDL), the People’s Coalition on Food Sovereignty (PCFS), the Asia Pacific Research Network (APRN), and the People Over Profit Network.
Join us in our calls:
People-centred development, not corporate recovery!
Working people’s rights, not profit!
Cancel the debts now!
Fight the greenwashing of resource plunder!
End all neoliberal conditionalities!